Updated: Jul 29, 2020
Basic Church Information
Church Website: https://crosspointutah.com/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/CrossPointUT
Address: 223 W. Cougar Blvd. Box #411, Provo, UT 84604
We were entirely stonewalled by this church in attempting to find answers to our questions. The following are answers we managed to find ourselves through research and other investigative means.
1. What is your church's official position on tithing?
There isn’t anything on their website to suggest that they preach tithing, nor any sermons that we could find that preach it either. They do, however, take an offering at each service as noted on the About page of their website:
"Each gathering will typically close by taking the Lord's Supper and collecting and distributing an offering to help meet any needs we're aware of. On average, our time together is two to two and a half hours."
2. Does your church have a particular set of rules or requirements that members must follow or abide by in order to retain their membership status with the church?
I couldn’t find anything to suggest that this church has official memberships or agreements for members to sign in their local church. This church's website previously had a blog that listed in detail what kind of things they expected of their attendees, but it seems they have since gotten rid of the blog element of their site, so the only suggestion of membership requirements or expectations that we see is this quote from their About page:
"Intentionally meeting in homes allows our gatherings to maintain 1) a size where meaningful community can develop and mutual discipleship can take place, 2) a simplicity that requires minimal overhead or programming, and 3) a style that emphasizes full participation and shared responsibility."
3. Are you transparent with your church's financial information? How much does your church bring in through donations and tithing, and how is that money distributed?
While this church explains openly that following the house church model prevents them from needing nearly as much financial support from its members, we still couldn’t find any actual financial information on this church, and since pastor Logan stonewalled us, we have no idea how transparent the church is with its members, or anyone, regarding their finances.
4. Which denomination does your church align with the most, if any?
Their Facebook page used to list them as a Baptist church. Now the only denominational description we see is "...a congregation of house churches..." when you do a Google search.
5. Is your church's pastor available for other questions or comments regarding the church, its doctrines, etc.?
Unfortunately, I can’t give a good answer to this because I was completely ignored when I tried to reach out to this church. I suppose if an individual Christian were to attend this church in person, the pastor may answer questions or accept comments, but since I couldn’t get him to talk to me, or answer my questions, there’s no way of knowing that for sure quite yet.
6. How is your church's doctrinal flexibility and tolerance? If a member has a disagreement with the pastor or leadership on a certain doctrine, how is it handled? Does the church change its position on doctrines fairly often, if at all?
Since this church was at one point associated with the Baptist denomination, I can’t imagine they’re very flexible with certain doctrines, but since our Questionnaire was stonewalled and we couldn’t find any information regarding this on their website, we can’t answer this question either.
7. Does your church require that its members be baptized? What is your church's official position on baptism?
I saw no signs of required baptism for membership on the church’s website, and Baptists don’t typically believe in baptismal regeneration, so I think it’s safe to assume that this church practices baptism without requiring it for members.
8. Please describe what a typical service and/or meeting looks like in your church.
The website gives the following description of their services on their About page:
Our gatherings meet every Sunday. They are informal and relationally centered, with one of our goals being to help you find meaningful community with others who will encourage you in life and support you as you follow Christ. There is always food, sometimes a full meal and other times just refreshments, and time to sit and talk, before we pray and open the Word.
Though each group has a leader, they are there primarily to facilitate the gathering. Everyone is encouraged to participate by asking and answering questions, sharing experiences, reading Bible passages, and offering prayers and words of encouragement.
Each gathering will typically close by taking the Lord's Supper and collecting and distributing an offering to help meet any needs we're aware of. On average, our time together is two to two and a half hours.
9. How many people do you have on staff at your church, both paid and volunteer?
While I couldn’t find any information on exactly how many people they have on staff for this church, it used to state on their website that they don’t pay any of their staff. Everyone works on a volunteer basis.
10. What is the pastor's educational history?
I didn’t see any information on the pastor’s educational history on the website or his Facebook Page.
11. How does the church discipline its members with their sin?
We couldn't find anything online or on the website to suggest that this church has a sin discipline protocol in place.
12. How is the pastor compensated (income, benefits, bonuses, etc.)?
The house church model at this church suggests that the pastor may not even receive compensation, but I don’t see that he has any other means of income listed on his Facebook Page, so I don’t know this for sure. We won’t know unless pastor Logan decides to answer this for us.
13. What is the size of your church and any other space the church owns for meetings and church services?
This church doesn’t appear to own any buildings or space for meetings and church services since they are a congregation of house churches.
As for congregation size, we may not be able to make a fair estimate. While their Facebook Page shows over 1,000 likes and follows, I'm not sure how this translates into actual attendee sizes for a house church congregation.
14. What is the teaching style at this church?
While it appears this church has gotten rid of their recorded sermons for online listeners, the last time we checked this church they taught topical sermons.
Do you attend one of CrossPoint's House Churches in Utah? Have any helpful information for local churchgoers that could answer any of our questions? Comment below or contact us and let us know!