Basic Church Information
Church Name: K2 The Church
Senior/Lead Pastor: Dave Nelson
Address: 5049 Murray Blvd. Murray UT, 84123
Preaching Style: Topical
Membership Requirements: Unknown
Tithes/Compelled Giving: Yes
Financial Transparency: No
Answered Questionnaire: No
Online Services: https://www.k2thechurch.com/watch/
Affiliations: Celebrate Recovery
When I originally sent the Questionnaire to K2’s staff, I received an immediate response from someone when I inquired on their website about some questions I had. A woman named Pam replied right away...but then I sent her the questions.
After three days with no answer, I decided to send a follow-up email. This is how it went.
Me: “Happy Sunday Pam! Have you had a chance to look at my questions yet and maybe send them along to the person who can answer them? If you could just let me know where you're at on it I'd really appreciate it.”
Pam: “Sarah, I won’t have an opportunity to get your questions answered until Monday. We close our office from 3 pm on Thursday until Monday at 9am. Monday’s are very busy so it may be Tuesday.”
So, I waited, then Tuesday came, and no answers. I sent another follow-up email.
Me: “Hi Again Pam, Any chance you've had time to get to this today?”
Pam: “I’m sorry but no. I had to forward it to our executive pastor so we are on his timetable. I can’t give you a date. If you need it urgently I guess we can’t answer at this time.”
Me: “No worries. I can wait as long as it takes to answer the questions. Who is the Executive Pastor so that I can follow up with him?”
Then, I got no answer, but that’s okay. I figured it out. It’s Jason Dunn.
Me: “Hi Jason, Just wanted to follow up and make sure you received my list of questions. I understand you're probably very busy and these aren't the easiest questions to answer, so no rush, but I would greatly appreciate it. I've finished writing most of my review for your church and all I need now is the answers to the questionnaire. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.”
I have now emailed the questions to lead pastor Dave Nelson. If at some point they decide to answer them, I can update the review. Until then, I’ll have to try and answer them myself.
1. What is your church's official position on tithing?
There is nothing on their website that suggests they preach tithing. They do have a Give Page, but so do all Churches and Ministries.
2. Does your church have a particular set of rules or requirements that members must follow or abide by in order to retain their membership status with the church?
Just like One Place Church in Hayden, Idaho, K2 has something they like to call Base Camp, which is a class that you can take in order to get “connected” with the church. Whether this class is required, whether there are a set of rules or requirements one must sign to become a member, I don’t know, but their site does emphasize that they hate rules, shame, and guilt. So I can’t imagine that is the case here.
3. What is your church's official position on the doctrine of salvation? Through grace, works, both?
I found this answer on their What We Believe Page:
“Apart from Jesus Christ, all people are spiritually lost and, because of sin, deserve the judgment of God. However, God gives salvation and eternal life to anyone who trusts in Jesus Christ and in His sacrifice on his or her behalf. Salvation cannot be earned through personal goodness or human effort. It is a gift that must be received by humble repentance and faith in Christ and His finished work on the cross.”
4. Are you transparent with your church's financial information? How much does your church bring in through donations and tithing, and how is that money distributed? What do your profit on average?
So far, it appears not.
5. Which denomination does your church align with the most, if any?
It appears they are non-denominational and I can’t find anything that says otherwise.
6. Is your church's pastor available for other questions or comments regarding the church, its doctrines, etc.?
I’m beginning to wonder if the lead pastor is who I need to be emailing, and find that out for myself...so I did. I emailed pastor Dave. Let’s see if he will help me out.
7. How is your church's doctrinal flexibility and tolerance? If a member has a disagreement with the pastor or leadership on a certain doctrine, how is it handled? Does the church change its position on doctrines fairly often, if at all?
I can't find anything to answer this question yet.
8. Does your church require that its members be baptized? What is your church's official position on baptism?
While I don’t see any official statement claiming that members must be baptized, while at the same time there does seem to be a lot of pressure for it.
9. How many people do you have on staff at your church, both paid and volunteer?
K2's church website doesn't share any of this information. We will have to dig deeper.
10. What is the pastor's educational history?
According to the website, Pastor Dave has a Masters Degree in Theology.
11. How does the church discipline its members with their sin?
Once again, since there is no public membership agreement and the church has stonewalled my questions, we will have to dig deeper for this answer as well.
12. How is the pastor compensated (income, benefits, bonuses, etc.)?
No idea. Once again, we need to dig deeper.
13. What is the size of your church building and any other space the church owns for meetings and church services?
Don't know this either. Looks like we're going to have to make looking into K2 more a priority!
14. How many members or attendees does your church currently have?
Over 4,000 people have liked and followed K2 on Facebook. SMCC Draper has somewhere around 2,000 with a confirmed 1,400 members, so I’m going to assume based on their Facebook Page, they have somewhere around 1,000-2,000 attendees. Impressive, K2!