Updated: Jul 29
Basic Church Information
Church Website: https://centerpointutah.org/home
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/centerpointutah
Address: 1550 Sandhill Road Orem, Utah
Phone: (801) 225-3038
Sermons & Services: https://centerpointutah.org/watch
CenterPoint Church stonewalled our Questionnaire last year the first time we reached out to them. Now that we've updated our review format, we've resubmitted our questions to the church in the hopes that they will answer them this time around. Below are the answers we've been able to find on our own.
1. What is your church's official position on tithing?
The last time we checked this church they had a video on their Give page that pressured giving and one of the sermons we listened to pressured giving, but the video is gone now, as well as the Scripture being used to pressure giving. If anyone knows of any sermons wherein the church preaches or teaches tithing, please contact us or tell us about it in the comments below.
2. Does your church have a particular set of rules or requirements that members must follow or abide by in order to retain their membership status with the church?
While we don't see anything online that shows this church has any membership requirements or contracts, they do have a "Starting Point" class for new attendees, which sometimes means the church has a membership. Until we can get someone into this class or get someone from the church to answer our questions, we don't know this for sure.
3. Are you transparent with your church's financial information? How much does your church bring in through donations and tithing, and how is that money distributed? What do your profit on average?
We don't see anything on the church's website or online presence to suggest that they are financially transparent. Until someone from the church can answer this question for us, we don't know the answer to this for sure.
4. Which denomination does your church align with the most, if any?
Google has this church listed as an Evangelical church.
5. Is your church's pastor available for other questions or comments regarding the church, its doctrines, etc.?
Since this church has stonewalled our questions so far, we don't know the answer to this.
6. How is your church's doctrinal flexibility and tolerance? If a member has a disagreement with the pastor or leadership on a certain doctrine, how is it handled? Does the church change its position on doctrines fairly often, if at all?
While this is a non-denominational church that doesn’t seem to put much emphasis or importance on specific non-essential doctrines, we don’t know how questions or disagreements regarding those things would be handled in this church.
7. Does your church require that its members be baptized? What is your church's official position on baptism?
We don’t know this either. While the website doesn’t suggest any kind of requirements for getting baptized here, or in general, it might be something they speak on in their Starting Point class as an expectation of church members. Until we can find out for sure, we don’t know.
8. Please describe what a typical service and/or meeting looks like in your church.
This is what the CP website says under their Worship drop-down page:
“CenterPoint has two similar but different services on Sunday mornings. They are similar because they both have the same songs, structure, and message. For those who enjoy a quieter service of worship, we recommend heading to our 9:45 am service. Those who attend our 11:15 am service will enjoy a fuller and livelier dynamic."
9. How many people do you have on staff at your church, both paid and volunteer?
While we couldn’t find out how many of their staff were paid or volunteer, they do have a Church Staff page on their website, showing 14 people and their positions in the church.
10. What is the pastor's educational history?
This information is not provided on the church website.
11. How does the church discipline its members with their sin?
Another good question that won’t be answered until pastor Scott decides to give that information, or we find out from their Starting Point class when we go.
12. How is the pastor compensated (income, benefits, bonuses, etc.)?
As usual, we won’t know this unless pastor Scott decides to share it with us. We could probably come up with a fair guesstimate, but the important thing is that it hasn’t been disclosed.
13. What is the size of your church and any other space the church owns for meetings and church services?
We did find this information through the article we found on the Daily Herald.
The church itself is 26,700 square feet and the size of the congregation in 2016 when this article was published was about 725 with “special meetings” reaching up to 1,000 attendees.
14. What is the teaching style at this church?
Are you a member of CenterPoint Church in Orem, Utah? Help us out by answering some of our questions below!