Church Check: Adventure Church in Draper, Utah
Updated: Jul 29, 2020
Basic Church Information
Church Website: https://www.theadventure.church/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/theadventureut
Address: 352 W. 12300 S. Draper, Utah 84020
Online Services: https://www.theadventure.church/sermons
Other Affiliations: Possible Christian Mysticism Teachings (See Question #4)
Financial Transparency: No
Answered Questionnaire: No
1. What is your church's official position on tithing?
Their Give page on their website says this:
HONOR THE LORD "...with the firstfruits of all your crops..."
“In all things—our time, our daily decisions, our work, our relationships, our possessions, and our finances—we are called to put God first as we allow Him to be Lord over our lives. Our "firstfruits" are also what God calls a tithe, which means 'tenth' or 10%, and we seek to honor Him with this offering. We are not so much giving to God as we are giving back for what He has given us.”
2. Does your church have a particular set of rules or requirements that members must follow or abide by in order to retain their membership status with the church?
While I don’t know whether Adventure Church has the same kind of contract or membership requirements that other churches have, we do see that they have a Base Camp class for new attendees:
3. Are you transparent with your church's financial information? How much does your church bring in through donations and tithing, and how is that money distributed?
We haven't received an answer to this question so far. The answer until we receive an updated response from Pastor Jodi is no.
4. Which denomination does your church align with the most, if any?
This is a Foursquare Church: https://foursquare-org.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/Print_Brochure_What_Foursquare_Believes_English.pdf
There are also hints of Christian Mysticism in their Summit Class: https://www.theadventure.church/events/summit
5. Is your church's pastor available for other questions or comments regarding the church, its doctrines, etc.?
We don't know this right now, unless pastor Jodi chooses to respond to our follow up message. Pastor Kelly with the Utah County location has been responsive in general, however.
6. If a member has a disagreement with the pastor or leadership on a certain doctrine, how is it handled? Does the church change its position on doctrines fairly often, if at all?
We won't know this until and if someone with Adventure Church chooses to answer our questions.
7. Does your church require that its members be baptized? What is your church's official position on baptism?
They don’t mention baptism on the website from what I can tell, but according to Foursquare, their denomination, they do believe in baptism by immersion. Whether the church requires baptism for membership or believes it is necessary for salvation, we do not know.
8. Please describe what a typical service and/or meeting looks like in your church.
This is what their website says (emphasis mine):
“We begin with a time of worship through music and singing led by one of our amazing worship teams who turn our attention to Jesus. We can get a little excited—but nothing over the top—and we will raise our hands in worship, all of which is an appropriate response and expression of praise and adoration to our awesome Savior, Jesus Christ! Solid biblical teaching follows from one of our pastors or teachers, led by Lead Pastor Jodi Van Rhee. Our focus on the whole is to experience God’s power, bringing transformation to our lives.”
9. How many people do you have on staff at your church, both paid and volunteer?
The website doesn't answer this question, so we don't know.
10. What is the pastor's educational history?
I can’t find any educational history on any of the pastors of Adventure Church.
11. How does the church discipline its members with their sin?
We won’t know this until pastor Jodi answers our questions. My guess is it is similar to how most churches operate, according to Matthew 18. How strict they are with their interpretations of sin and their level of involvement in an individual Christian’s personal life and walk, however, is unknown.
12. How is the pastor compensated (income, benefits, bonuses, etc.)?
We don’t have an answer to this question. We could make a guess if we knew how many members the church has, but we don’t know that either.
13. What is the size of your church and any other space the church owns for meetings and church services?